Amy's Life

Bread and butter doesn't taste quite as good with out the bread.

25 June, 2006

Culinary Masterpiece

My domestic side hasn't been well developed. I can make a mighty fine piece of toast. And I know exactly how much milk to pour on my Cherrio's mixed with Coco Pebbles for that perfect bowl of dinner cereal. I can even throw caution to the wind and add in extra fruit to my yoplait yogurt (sometimes not even the same kind of fruit as the yogurt) for a tantalizing treat-- which I normally eat right before I open a box of HoHo's. But that's about as far as it goes. I can not decorate. I can not make home made thank you cards. I can not figure out why there is a need for parsley in the world. Beyond my very limited culinary skills I don't have much to offer to the domestic world.

But sometimes, despite reason and that little voice in my head screaming "DON'T DO IT", I try.

I don't think broccoli was meant to be slow cooked for eight hours in a crock pot. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Chop it up and put it in the crock pot the night before. Turn the crock pot on high when I get up in the morning. And then WA-La!! Broccoli the super food for dinner eight hours later. Even I know you're not supposed to "boil out the nutrients" of your vegetables. So I added some cream of chicken soup to soak 'em back up. This, over a little rice, CULINARY MASTERPIECE!

It didn't work out quite as I had hoped. The super food kind of disintegrated. It did however turn the soup a kind of forest green. And if you've never tried it, you might not know, but broccoli left for eight hours in a crock pot on high with cream soup has a particular smell. And the smell spreads out through the house. And lingers----- for several days.

For now, I'm back to toast and cereal.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:14 PM, Blogger MOAB said…

    Mmmmmmmm, Dr. Amy. Please come make dinner at MY house!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home